News / WADA Code 2015 – what are some the key areas of change? /
WADA Code 2015 – what are some the key areas of change?
20 June 2014
Recent media coverage of drugs and supplement use in football is a timely reminder that the new WADA World Anti-Doping Code will come into effect on January 1, 2015. A large number of revisions have been made to the 2009 Code. Here is a sample:
- Tougher penalties for "real cheats" while allowing more flexibility in other circumstances.
- Athletes are no longer entitled to a reduced punishment in return for an early plea.
- Greater attention paid to the individual human rights of athletes and the proportionality of offences.
- An expectation of increased co-operation from sporting organisations to assist with WADA's investigation of infringements.
- An extension of the statute of limitations from 8 years to 10 years.
- Greater reach of WADA to target athlete support personnel who are involved in doping violations.
For more information please contact:
John Mullins | Partner
t +61 7 3224 0210
f +61 7 3224 0333